Is soliciting donations in linked pages allowed?
Once I linked from a Wikiversity page to my project page which contained among other a link to page accepting PayPal.
I was required by somebody to make the PayPal donations page not (indirectly) linked from Wikiversity saying something about "no soliciting".
Today I searching Wikiversity for "no soliciting" and found no such rule.
So, can a Wikiversity page link to a page with "Donate" link?
--VictorPorton (discuss • contribs) 11:09, 27 April 2018 (UTC)
- @VictorPorton: No, a Wikiversity page cannot link to a "Donate" link. See Wikiversity:External links. -- Dave Braunschweig (discuss • contribs) 13:51, 27 April 2018 (UTC)
- @Dave Braunschweig: I am not going to put a "donate" link on a Wikiversity page. I want to link to a project page which in turn links to a donate page. Wikiversity:External links seems to say nothing about this issue. --VictorPorton (discuss • contribs) 18:53, 27 April 2018 (UTC)
- @VictorPorton: External links does address this. It describes the type of content and the value that content must provide in order to be linked. An exception would be if the recipient of the Donate link on that page is you. In that case, it is a conflict of interest and not appropriate. As an alternative, if you own the content, you can post it here and eliminate the need for linking. -- Dave Braunschweig (discuss • contribs) 20:37, 27 April 2018 (UTC)
- I agree with Dave on this. There are plenty of places where Dontate Links are allowed. Let's not let Wikiversity be one of those. If the policy on this is not clear, then we need to make it clear.Guy vandegrift (discuss • contribs) 21:46, 27 April 2018 (UTC)
- I disagree with Guy and Dave. Traditional universities offer a path for people to increase the comforts in their life. This wiki should be no different. Spam and promotion to the detriment of others should rightly be not allowed. Self promotion which is mutually beneficial to both teachers and learners (and researchers and learners) should be allowed. Of course, policies and guidelines on this wiki should be respected. That does not mean that they should not be changed through a new consensus that could motivate real exponential growth in the amount of useful/educational content on this wiki. Michael Ten (discuss • contribs) 23:26, 12 May 2018 (UTC)