Thionville (Luxembourgish: Diddenuewen, German: Diedenhofen) is a city in the northeast of France, close to the Luxembourgian and German border. It is situated on the left side of the Moselle River. About 41,000 people were living there in 2014.
Till 1659 Thionville made part of the Holy Roman Empire (as a part of Luxembourg till 1462). From 1871 to 1919 it made part of the German Empire, and from 1940 to 1944 of Nazi Germany.