The station in use in 1861
The first York railway station was a temporary building on Queen Street outside the
walls of the city. It was opened in 1839 by
York and North Midland Railway and was the terminus of the original trunk route for trains to
It was succeeded by what is now the old station, built at the junction of Toft Green, Tanner Row and Station Rise inside the city walls by the Y&NM's architect
George Townsend Andrews in 1840. It opened on 4 January 1841. Andrews also designed the neo-Tudor arch where the walls were breached to allow trains to access the station.