Worshipful Company of Goldsmiths

Worshipful Company of Goldsmiths
EH1286469 Goldsmiths Hall 04.jpg
LocationGoldsmiths' Hall,
London, England, United Kingdom
Date of formation1327; 691 years ago (1327)
Company associationBanking and commodity trading
Order of precedence5th
Master of companyJudith Cobham-Lowe, Prime Warden[1]
MottoJustitia Virtutum Regina
Websitethegoldsmiths.co.uk

The Worshipful Company of Goldsmiths is one of the Great Twelve Livery Companies of the City of London.[2]

The Company, which originates from the twelfth century, received a Royal Charter in 1327 and ranks fifth in the order of precedence of City Livery Companies. Its motto is Justitia Virtutum Regina, Latin for Justice is Queen of Virtues.

The Goldsmiths' Company founded a London Technical and Recreative Institute in 1891, which is better known nowadays as Goldsmiths, University of London.

History

The third and present Goldsmiths' Hall in the second half of the 19th century

The Company was first established as a medieval guild for the goldsmith trade. The word hallmarking derives from the fact that precious metals were officially inspected and marked at Goldsmiths' Hall, the Company's HQ.

Worshipful Company of Goldsmiths' Alms Houses, Acton

In 1812, twenty almshouses were built on the former Perryn estate in Acton, on open land west of London. The almshouses were built on land which had been left to the Company by John Perryn in 1657.[3]

Other Languages