This seems a little backwards, doesn't it?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/State_school The article for public schools is called 'state schools', a term which, evidenced in the lead section, is only used in England and Wales. I feel the article should be moved to 'Public school'. Thoughts?
talk) 05:16, 10 December 2017 (UTC)
TheTechnician27 and welcome to the Teahouse.
- It's not so easy. The term "public school" is overloaded, so that page is a disambiguation page.
(contribs) 05:48, 10 December 2017 (UTC)
- Perhaps we could make
State school a disambiguation page too, but then we would have to find a new title for this article. Maybe Schools funded from taxes? We could then cut out some of the convoluted explanations.
s 15:32, 10 December 2017 (UTC)
- If there is consensus that
State school is the primary topic for
public school and should be moved there, then the disambiguation page can be moved to
public school (disambiguation) (which currently exists and redirects to
MB 18:08, 13 December 2017 (UTC)
- I don't think we would get consensus for that move. I was suggesting that both terms are ambiguous, but I can't think of a good alternative title.
s 09:22, 15 December 2017 (UTC)
- Um, excuse me. I was educated at an English public school which was founded in 627 AD. It is not a state school and never has been. That meaning of "public school" is
WP:PRIMARYTOPIC in UK, and may be also in India, Pakistan and Sri Lanka. "Public school" and "state school" are ambiguous terms. They mean different things in different countries. There is no WP:PRIMARYTOPIC for either. Remember: It's all about the readers.
Narky Blert (
talk) 02:12, 16 December 2017 (UTC)
- That's what I said, though I've no public school background. Perhaps you intended a shorter indent?
s 18:18, 16 December 2017 (UTC)
Narky Blert:, you're an Old Peterite?
talk) 19:01, 16 December 2017 (UTC)
- How about "
Public education"? I see
User:Kwamikagami went ahead and merged
Public education and
State school in 2010. See talk at
Talk:State_school#Merger proposal --
talk) 18:36, 17 December 2017 (UTC)