Tiger Stadium (Detroit)
This article needs additional citations for
Tiger Stadium in 1998
Navin Field (1912–37)
Briggs Stadium (1938–60)
|Location||2121 Trumbull Avenue|
|Field size||Left field – 340 ft (104 m)|
Left-center field – 365 ft (111 m)
Center field – 440 ft (134 m)
Right-center field – 370 ft (113 m)
Right field – 325 ft (99 m)
Backstop – 66 ft (20 m)
|Broke ground||October 1911|
|Opened||April 20, 1912|
|Closed||July 24, 2001|
|Demolished||June 30, 2008 (began)|
September 21, 2009 (completed)
($7.61 million in 2017 dollars)
|General contractor||Hunkin & Conkey|
|NRHP reference #||88003236|
|Added to NRHP||February 6, 1989|
Tiger Stadium, previously known as Navin Field and Briggs Stadium, was a
The last Detroit Tigers game at the stadium was held in September 1999. In the decade after the Tigers vacated the stadium, several rejected redevelopment and preservation efforts finally gave way to demolition. The stadium's demolition was completed on September 21, 2009, though the stadium's actual playing field remains at the corner where the stadium once stood. Since the spring of 2010, a volunteer group known as the Navin Field Grounds Crew (composed of Tiger Stadium fans, preservationists, and Corktown residents) has restored and maintained the field.
A plan to redevelop the old Tiger Stadium site would retain the historic playing field for youth sports and ring the 10-acre property with new development has received final approval, and funding.
Over the years, expansion continued to accommodate more people. In
A fire gutted the press box on the evening of February 1, 1977. In 1977, the Tigers sold the stadium to the city of Detroit, which then leased it back to the Tigers. As part of this transfer, the green wooden seats were replaced with blue and orange plastic ones and the stadium's interior, which was green, was painted blue to match.
In 1992, new owner
Tiger Stadium had a 125-foot (38 m) tall flagpole in fair play, to the left of dead center field near the 440 foot (134 m) mark. The same flag pole was originally to be brought to
When the stadium closed, it was tied with
The right field upper deck overhung the field by 10 feet (3 m), prompting the installation of spotlights above the warning track. When the park was expanded in 1936 and the second deck was added over the right field pavilion and bleachers, there was a limited amount of space between the right field fence and the street behind it. To fit as many seats as possible in the expansion, the second deck was extended over the fence by 10 feet. The overhang would occasionally "catch" some extremely high arced fly balls and prevent the right fielder standing underneath it with his back to the fence from catching the ball, resulting in a home run for the batter, in what otherwise would have been a long out. Other batted balls would occasionally hit the facing of the overhang and bounce far back into right field (still resulting in a home run).
Like other older baseball stadiums such as
For a time after it was constructed, the right field upper deck had a "315" marker at the foul pole (later painted over), with a "325" marker below it on the lower deck fence (which was retained). The Texas Rangers claim that the design of the right field section was copied and used in the construction of The Ballpark in Arlington (now
Supposedly due to then-owner Walter Briggs's dislike of night baseball, lights were not installed at the stadium until 1948. The first
Tiger Stadium featured an upper and lower deck bleacher section that was separated from the rest of the stadium. Chainlink and at one time, a barbed wire fence, separated the bleachers from the reserved sections and was the only section of seating not covered by at least part of the roof. The bleachers had their own entrance, concession stands and restrooms.
In 1999, its final season, this ballpark and
Tiger Stadium was home to the
In the late 1960s, the city of Pontiac and its community leaders made a presentation to the Metropolitan Stadium Committee of a 155-acre (0.63 km2) site on the city's east side at the intersection of
On Friday, October 5, 1951,