Super Bowl Most Valuable Player Award

The Super Bowl Most Valuable Player Award, or Super Bowl MVP, is presented annually to the most valuable player of the Super Bowl, the National Football League's (NFL) championship game. The winner is chosen by football writers and broadcasters and, since Super Bowl XXXV in 2001, fans voting electronically. was the first Super Bowl with fan votingas well a fan vote during the game and by a panel of 16 football writers and broadcasters who vote after the game. The media panel's ballots count for 80 percent of the vote tally, while the viewers' ballots make up the other 20 percent.[1] The game's viewing audience can vote on the Internet or by using cellular phones;[1] Super Bowl XXXV, held in 2001, was the first Super Bowl with fan voting.[2]

The Super Bowl MVP has been awarded annually since the game's inception in 1967. Through 1989, the award was presented by SPORT magazine.[3] Bart Starr was the MVP of the first two Super Bowls. Since 1990, the award has been presented by the NFL.[3] At Super Bowl XXV, the league first awarded the Pete Rozelle Trophy, named after former NFL commissioner Pete Rozelle, to the Super Bowl MVP.[4] Ottis Anderson was the first to win the trophy.[5] The most recent Super Bowl MVP, from Super Bowl LIII held on February 3, 2019, is New England Patriots wide receiver Julian Edelman, who had 10 receptions for 141 yards.[6]

Tom Brady is the only player to have won four Super Bowl MVP awards; Joe Montana has won three and three others—Starr, Terry Bradshaw, and Eli Manning—have won the award twice.[7] Starr and Bradshaw are the only ones to have won it in back-to-back years. The MVP has come from the winning team every year except 1971, when Dallas Cowboys linebacker Chuck Howley won the award despite the Cowboys' loss in Super Bowl V to the Baltimore Colts.[8] Harvey Martin and Randy White were named co-MVPs of Super Bowl XII, the only time co-MVPs have been chosen.[9] Including the Super Bowl XII co-MVPs, seven Cowboys players have won Super Bowl MVP awards, the most of any NFL team. Quarterbacks have earned the honor 29 times in 53 games.

Voting

Fan voting, which counts for 20 percent of the vote, opens at the start of the fourth quarter and closes when the game ends. The media vote, which counts for the remaining 80 percent, comes from 16 writers and broadcasters who attend the game, and include media members who cover the teams playing in the game. Media voters are asked to vote with about five minutes remaining in the game, but are allowed to change their mind when the game ends. They can also nominate one player from each team, with instructions to count their vote for the player on the winning team.[10] ESPN reporter Mike Reiss, who was one of the voters for Super Bowl LIII, noted that while a "strong case" could be made that the New England Patriots' defense as a whole deserved the award, voters cannot vote for an entire unit.[11]