Submarine Memorial Chapel

Submarine Memorial Chapel
Submarine Memorial Chapel exterior 2019 (7).jpg
Exterior of Submarine Memorial Chapel (2019)
General information
TypeChurch
LocationCorner of Oakley and Nimitz Streets, Joint Base Pearl Harbor–Hickam, Pearl Harbor, Hawaii
CountryUnited States
Coordinates21°21′19″N 157°56′31″W / 21°21′19″N 157°56′31″W / 21.35528; -157.94194c. November 1943
InauguratedSeptember 10, 1944
OwnerUnited States Navy
Heightc. 10 m (33 ft)

The Submarine Memorial Chapel is a military chapel onboard Joint Base Pearl Harbor–Hickam, Hawaii, United States. Dedicated in 1944, it is the oldest chapel at Pearl Harbor, built in remembrance of all the submariners who died in World War II. It ceased hosting religious worship services sometime in the 2000s, but regular religious services were re-established by a congregation at the chapel in 2015.

History

The Submarine Memorial Chapel is the oldest chapel at Pearl Harbor, Hawaii, built during World War II in remembrance of all the submariners who died in that conflict. In November 1943, Navy Chaplain Lieutenant Commander Thomas H. Reilly conceived of the building and began to organize volunteers to build it.[1]

The dedication ceremony on September 10, 1944, was attended by more than 400 personnel, including Admiral Chester Nimitz and then-Rear Admiral Charles A. Lockwood.[2]

At some point in the early 2000s, the chapel ceased hosting religious worship services, but it continued to be the site of community activities including retirements, weddings, the monthly Tolling of the Boats and other services. On November 22, 2015, regular religious services were re-established by a congregation at the chapel.[2]

Other Languages