St Paul's School, London
|St Paul's School|
(By Faith and By Learning)
|Chairman of the Governors||Johnny Robertson BSc|
|High Master||Professor |
|Age||13 to 19|
|Houses||A – H (known as clubs)|
|Boat Club||St Paul's School Boat Club|
It is one of the original nine British "Clarendon"
St Paul's has been ranked (2001) as the leading boys' school in the country academically, on the merit of its position in the national
The school is currently being rebuilt and expanded as part of a £150 million project. Beginning in 2011, the work was scheduled to be carried out in phases over a period of thirty years.[
St Paul's School originally takes its name from
The eldest son of Sir Henry Colet, a member of the
Originally, the school provided education for 153 children of "all nacions and countries indifferently", primarily in literature and etiquette. The number
Colet was an outspoken critic of the powerful and worldly Church of his day, a friend of
One of St Paul's early headmasters was
Between 1861 and 1864, the
St Paul’s School (founded 1512 by John Colet, DD, Dean of St Paul’s), St Paul’s-churchyard — There are 153 scholars on the foundation, who are entitled to entire exemption from school fees. Vacancies are filled up at the commencement of each term according to the results of a competitive examination. Candidates must be between 12 and 14 years of age. Capitation scholars pay £20 a year. The governors of this school are appointed by the Mercers' Company and the Universities of Oxford, Cambridge, and London. The school
exhibitions[i.e. scholarships] are determined as to number and value by the governors from time to time, and the school prizes are of considerable importance. The following are the university exhibitions. To the University of Cambridge there are the following exhibitions: Five exhibitions at Trinity, founded by Mr Perry in 1696, of the value of £10 a year; two exhibitions at St John’s, founded by Dr Gower in 1711, of the value of £10 a year, for the sons of clergymen. An exhibition, founded by Mr Stock in 1780 at Corpus Christi, of the yearly value of £30, given to a scholar recommended by the high master. Four exhibitions, in the same college, value £10 a year each, founded by Mr George Sykes in 1766, consolidated now in one exhibition, value £36 a year.
By comparison, in 2016 the Daily Telegraph reported that families earning up to £120,000 were being offered bursaries after the headmaster declared that the school had become "unaffordable."
Between 1886 and 1895, St Paul's boys won 173 entrance awards at
Like many ancient educational foundations, St Paul's School traditionally used the arms of its founder,
Apposition is a traditional ceremony at St Paul's and was originally a way of allowing the
Consequences of apposition have led to the dismissal of previous High Masters including Thomas Freeman, for lack of learning (although more probably for holding the incorrect religious views) in 1559. In 1748, High Master Charles was removed as he had allegedly threatened to "pull the Surmaster by the nose and kick him about the school."
Since it was re-introduced in 1969, the ceremony today takes place in May and is purely ceremonial, incorporating prize giving for boys in the final two years of the school.