St Laurence's Church, Upton-cum-Chalvey

Church of Saint Laurence,
Upton-cum-Chalvey
St. Laurence Upton, Slough - geograph.org.uk - 71130.jpg
Church of Saint Laurence, Upton-cum-Chalvey is located in Berkshire
Church of Saint Laurence, Upton-cum-Chalvey
Church of Saint Laurence,
Upton-cum-Chalvey
Location in Berkshire
51°30′08″N 0°35′18″W / 51°30′08″N 0°35′18″W / 51.5023; -0.5884
LocationUpton Court Road, Slough SL3 7LS
CountryEngland
DenominationChurch of England
ChurchmanshipSaint Laurence's Church
History
Founded12th century
Administration
ParishUpton-cum-Chalvey
DeaneryBurnham and Slough
DioceseOxford
ProvinceCanterbury
Clergy
RectorAndrew Allen
Curate(s)Julie Wearing

Saint Laurence's Church is one of three Church of England parish churches in the benefice of Upton-cum-Chalvey, and is the oldest building in the borough of Slough, in Berkshire, England.

In the 12th century the wooden parish church[citation needed] of Upton was replaced with a flint building. The tower and outside walls of the Norman building form part of the present church. Several of the walls are built of puddingstone. Two other Norman features survive: the ancient baptismal font and a piscina. In the English Reformation many of the ancient decorations were mutilated.[citation needed] A 13th-century Italian allegorical image of the Trinity – God Father, Son and Holy Spirit – survived and was reassembled in the restoration of the church.

Dereliction and restoration

By the early 19th century St Laurence's had fallen into such disrepair that it was decided to build a new church, St Mary’s, in the town centre. The Norman building was saved from demolition by a local farmer who secured the outside walls and tower. Saint Laurence’s was restored in 1850–51 by Benjamin Ferrey[1] and rededicated on 2 December 1851.

Other Languages