An earlier salle Pleyel seating 300 opened in December 1839 at nº 22 rue Rochechouart; it saw the premieres of many important works, including the second (1868) and fifth (1896) piano concertos by
Pavane pour une infante défunte and
Jeux d'eau (April 5, 1902) and Sonata for Violin and Cello (April 6, 1922).
A replacement 3,000-seat hall was commissioned in 1927
 by piano manufacturer
Pleyel et Cie and designed by Gustave Lion.
 The inauguration concert by the
Orchestre de la Société des Concerts du Conservatoire, with
Robert Casadesus as soloist and
Maurice Ravel, and
Philippe Gaubert as conductors, included music by
Manuel de Falla,
 A fire ravaged the interior of the hall on 28 June 1928
 and the renovation cost made it impossible to repay the loan to
Crédit Lyonnais bank, which eventually took over the property and reduced the seats to 2,400.
 They in turn sold the hall to Hubert Martigny in 1998.
Stravinsky returned to Paris to conduct the French premiere of
Agon in 1957, and of
Threni in 1958.