Operation Coronado II

Operation Coronado II
Part of Operation Coronado, Vietnam War
Date27–31 July 1967
ResultAllies claim operational success
 United States
 South Vietnam
FNL Flag.svgViet Cong
Commanders and leaders
MG George G. O'ConnorUnknown
United States Mobile Riverine Force
3rd Battalion, 39th Infantry Regiment
3rd and 4th Battalions, 47th Infantry Regiment
5th Battalion, 60th Infantry Regiment
3rd Squadron, 5th Cavalry Regiment
South Vietnam 3rd Marine Battalion
44th Ranger Battalion
263rd Main Force Battalion
514th Local Force Battalion
Casualties and losses
United States 9 killed
Allied Losses: Unknown
US body count: 73 killed
68 captured

Operation Coronado II was the second of eleven in the Operation Coronado series conducted by the U.S. Mobile Riverine Force (MRF) in conjunction with various units of the Army of the Republic of Vietnam (ARVN) in late July 1967 in an attempt to shut down Viet Cong (VC) strongholds in the Mekong Delta.[1]:120 Three battalions of American troops, along with two ARVN battalions, backed by helicopters and watercraft swept the area and waterways surrounding Mỹ Tho in search of VC forces. Two VC battalions were encountered and many captured, although both sides suffered numerous casualties. The Allied forces also cordoned off the area to search water traffic for VC supplies or suspects. The Americans credited the South Vietnamese 3rd Marine Battalion for the success of the operation.


The Mobile Riverine Force ended Operation Coronado I in Long An Province because of intelligence indicating communist buildup west of Mỹ Tho in Định Tường Province. The force received word on 25 July that the MRF Base would move on 27 July from the confluence of the Soài Rạp and Vàm Cỏ Rivers to the vicinity of Đồng Tâm. During the afternoon of 25 July ground forces were picked up by assault craft and returned to the MRF Base. At 02:00 on 27 July riverine assault craft began leaving the base for minesweeping and patrol stations along the route to Đồng Tâm. At 05:50 the last ship of was proceeding south on the Soài Rạp River. Because of the slow speed of the towed APL moving against the tide the journey took almost 12 hours, but did not delay the commencement of the new operation in Định Tường Province on 28 July. In just over 48 hours the MRF was able to relocate a base supporting 3,900 men a distance of 96 km and to shift its area of operations a total of 136 km to the area west of Đồng Tâm.[1]:120

The MRF was about to join the largest force with which it would co-operate in a single operation in its Vietnam experience. Intelligence indicated that a VC force of several battalions threatened Mỹ Tho and Đồng Tâm; the plan was to attack simultaneously three of the four VC base areas in Định Tường Province from which an attack might be staged.[1]:120

Other Languages