The first object having an association with Egypt to arrive in Turin was the
Mensa Isiaca in 1630, an altar table in imitation of Egyptian style, which Dulu Jones suggests had been created for a temple to
Isis in Rome.
 This exotic piece spurred King
Charles Emmanuel III to commission botanist
Vitaliano Donati to travel to Egypt in 1753 and acquire items from its past. Donati returned with 300 pieces recovered from
Coptos, which became the nucleus of the Turin collection.
In 1824, King
Charles Felix acquired the material from the Drovetti collection (5,268 pieces, including 100 statues, 170
papyri, stelae, mummies, and other items), that the French General Consul,
Bernardino Drovetti, had built during his stay in Egypt. In the same year,
Jean-François Champollion used the huge Turin collection of papyri to test his breakthroughs in deciphering the
hieroglyphic writing. The time Champollion spent in Turin studying the texts is also the origin of a legend about the mysterious disappearance of the "Papiro Regio", that was only later found and of which some portions are still unavailable. In 1950 a parapsychologist was contacted to pinpoint them, to no avail.
In 1833, the collection of Piedmontese Giuseppe Sossio (over 1,200 pieces) was added to the Egyptian Museum. The collection was complemented and completed by the finds of Egyptologist
Ernesto Schiaparelli, during his excavation campaigns between 1900 and 1920, which further filled out the collection. Its last major acquisition was the small
temple of Ellesiya, which the Egyptian government presented to Italy for her assistance during the
Nubian monument salvage campaign in the 1960s.
Through all these years, the Egyptian collection has always been in Turin, in the building designed for the purpose of housing it, in Via Accademia delle Scienze 6. Only during the
Second World War was some of the material moved to the town of
Agliè. The museum became an experiment of the Italian government in
privatization of the nation's museums when the Fondazione Museo delle Antichità Egizie was officially established at the end of 2004. The building itself was remodelled in celebration of the
2006 Winter Olympics, with its main rooms redesigned by
Dante Ferretti, and "featured an imaginative use of lighting and mirrors in a spectacular display of some of the most important and impressive Pharaonic statues in the museum collection."
On April 1, 2015 a new layout of the museum was opened.
The new logo, the coordinated image and the exhibition system have been designed by the studio Migliore+Servetto Architects, whose founders,
Ico Migliore and
Mara Servetto, are creative advisor for the museum.