Mohawk Institute Residential School
The Mohawk Institute Residential School was a
It was operated by the
In 1831, the school began to function as a residential school for boys, and starting in 1834, girls were taken in as boarders as well. Children from Six Nations were sent there, along with some from the
While the school was originally nearby the Mohawk village, in 1837 the colonial government of Upper Canada ordered Six Nation residents to resettle south of the
On April 19, 1903, the main school building was again destroyed by fire. On May the barns of the Mohawk School were also destroyed by fire. On June 24, 1903 the playhouse which had been serving as the boys' dorm since the main fire in April was also burned down. All three of these fires have been attributed to students at the school. The school buildings were rebuilt the following year. The new school building contained separate boys and girls wings, principal's and teachers quarters, as well as administrative offices. This new school building was designed to hold 150 students and also included the development of barns, stables, and other agriculture related out buildings.
In 1922, the management of the school was formally taken over by the Canadian government, though the Anglican church retained ownership, and the agreement required that the principal be Anglican. A chapel was added to the school in 1930. By 1955, enrollment reached 185 children.
In 1963, farming was discontinued as the children were now given a full day of education without requiring their manual labour. Enrollment decreased as schools were built in reserve throughout Ontario, and in 1970, the school was closed. Six Nations assumed ownership of the building the following year.