This article needs to be updated.(July 2011)
2011 aerial view of earthquake damaged Lancaster Park
|Former names||Jade Stadium (1998–2007)|
AMI Stadium (2007–2011)
|Owner||Victoria Park Trust|
|Operator||VBase Venue management|
|Field size||Cricket Oval|
|Hadlee Stand End|
Port Hills End
|First Test||10–13 January 1930:|
|Last Test||7–9 December 2006:|
|First ODI||11 February 1973:|
|Last ODI||29 January 2011:|
|First T20I||7 February 2008:|
|Last T20I||30 December 2010:|
|First women's Test||16–18 February 1935:|
|Last women's Test||29 November – 2 December 1957:|
|First WODI||7 February 1982:|
|Last WODI||15 February 1999:|
|Only WT20I||28 February 2010:|
|As of 26 April 2017|
Lancaster Park, previously known as Jade Stadium and AMI Stadium, was a sports stadium in
The stadium had been the venue for various sports including
In 1880 Canterbury Cricket and Athletics Sports Co. Ltd was established. In 1882,
JADE Stadium Limited was established in December 1998 to manage the existing facilities on behalf of the Victory Park Board and the Christchurch City Council. A five-member board of directors, drawn from Christchurch's business community and the Christchurch City Council, governed the company.
In 1881 the first cricket match to be played on the ground was scheduled for the opening on 8 October, but it was cancelled because of rain. An athletics meeting became the first event held on the ground, on 15 October.
In 1912 a "Floral Fete", a festival, was held to raise funds to clear the debt of £2,000 in order to prevent the ground being cut up into building sites.
The financial difficulty the ground faced was so great that during New Zealand's involvement in
The embankment was expanded in 1957, increasing the capacity to 33,000. Two new stands were opened in 1965 further increasing the capacity to 38,500. In 1995 the
As part of a $60 million redevelopment for the 2011 Rugby World Cup, the Eastern Stands (No. 1, 2 and 3 stands) were demolished and replaced with the new Deans Stand. The Stand was designed to reflect the newly completed Western Stand. The total capacity was 38,500 and was to be raised to nearly 45,000 with temporary seating for the
On Tuesday, 22 April 2008 a press release was issued announcing that the new East Stand, built to replace stands demolished in 2007, as part of a redevelopment of the Ground, was to be named the Deans Stand when it was officially opened in January 2010. The Deans Stand has a seating capacity of 13,000. The stand was severely damaged in the earthquake when the piles it stood on were violently forced up and then down in a wave motion. It is slated for demolition.
The Deans name has been a part of
The stadium was closed because of the severe damage sustained during the February