John Campbell (Scottish surgeon)

John Campbell

MD, FRCSEd
Born(1784-07-17)17 July 1784
Died9 February 1867(1867-02-09) (aged 82)
Edinburgh, Scotland
EducationRoyal High School, Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
OccupationSurgeon
Known forPresidency of the Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh
Medical career
InstitutionsRoyal Infirmary of Edinburgh

John Campbell MD FRCSEd (17 July 1784 – 9 February 1867) was a Scottish surgeon. He served as president of the Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh from 1832 to 1834. In that capacity he was the last president of the College to sit ex officio as a member of the Edinburgh Town Council, so ending a tradition dating from 1583.[1] During his presidency the College made the most significant change of location in its history, moving from Old Surgeons Hall in Surgeons' Square to the present Playfair building in Nicolson Street.

Kilbryde Castle

Early life

He was born on 17 July 1784, the son of Sir James Campbell (1723–1812) 4th baronet of Aberuchil and Kilbryde and his second wife Mary Ann Campbell (née Burn).[2] He grew up in Kilbryde Castle, near Doune, which has been home to the Campbell family since 1589 and is owned by them into the 21st century.[3] His elder half brother Alexander Campbell (1757–1824) inherited the baronetcy becoming the 5th Baronet. John Campbell went to school at the Royal High School in Edinburgh, at that time in High School Yards, and was dux of the school. He returned to the Kilbryde estate before joining the army.[4]

Other Languages