You can check your address confirmation status in your preferences. If your account was registered prior to March 2, 2006 (when confirmation was enforced), your existing address (if any) has not been automatically confirmed. If you change your email address, you will automatically be sent a new confirmation email.
How to confirm
- From your preferences, go to the section entitled User profile, and scroll down to Email options, if desired check the box next to Enable email from other users.
- Click the button in that section; an email will be sent to your email address with a confirmation link. If you see no link, go to Special:ConfirmEmail. If that page starts with "Your email address was confirmed on <date>", then you're already confirmed.
- When you receive the email, click the link it contains to confirm that you own the email address.
- MediaWiki does not verify that Email addresses are properly formatted when they are stored in the database (see bug 959). Users should verify that their email address is functional before entering it.
- Some email programs may divide the confirmation link into two lines. If that happens, please copy all parts of the link together into the browser address bar.
- If you do not receive the confirmation email, check with your mail provider and mail software to see if the message was blocked as "spam". If you cannot receive the mail with your normal mail service then you can try another, for example one of the free webmails in comparison of webmail providers.
- If you do not receive the confirmation email, but your email seems to work otherwise, check with your mail provider to see whether they have used an IP address in their domain mxtoolbox.com. On Linux, you can check using
dig, and ensuring that the rightmost column in the
ANSWER SECTION is a domain name and not an IP address. For example, gmail.com is OK here:
$ dig gmail.com mx
; <<>> DiG 9.6.2-P1-RedHat-9.6.2-2.P1.fc11 <<>> gmail.com mx
;; global options: +cmd
;; Got answer:
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 51836
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 5, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 0
;; QUESTION SECTION:
;gmail.com. IN MX
;; ANSWER SECTION:
gmail.com. 1912 IN MX 40 alt4.gmail-smtp-in.l.google.com.
gmail.com. 1912 IN MX 5 gmail-smtp-in.l.google.com.
gmail.com. 1912 IN MX 10 alt1.gmail-smtp-in.l.google.com.
gmail.com. 1912 IN MX 20 alt2.gmail-smtp-in.l.google.com.
gmail.com. 1912 IN MX 30 alt3.gmail-smtp-in.l.google.com.
;; Query time: 15 msec
;; SERVER: 22.214.171.124#53(126.96.36.199)
;; WHEN: Fri Apr 23 02:24:50 2010
;; MSG SIZE rcvd: 150