The Government Army was created following the dissolution of the
Czechoslovak Army which occurred after the German occupation of the
Czech lands, and was officially constituted on July 25, 1939 by Government Order No. 216.
 It had an authorized strength of 7,000 men and a period of enlistment of twelve years; at its height it had an actual strength of 6,500 troops organized in twelve battalions.
 Despite the force's diminutive size, it boasted 40 generals.
Government Army regional inspectorate headquarters' shown on a map of the contemporary Czech Republic
State President was commander-in-chief of the Government Army.
 Operationally, the Government Army was organized into three regional inspectorates with their headquarters at
The Government Army's 1st Battalion was tasked with the protection of the State President, as well as
public duties at the presidential residence of Lány Castle.
 Beginning in November 1939, it assumed responsibility for guarding
Prague Castle in concert with German forces, a mission formerly performed by the
Prague Castle Guard of the defunct Czechoslovak Army.
Initially, the bulk of the force consisted of officers and men transferred directly from the former Czechoslovak Army.
 For political reasons, many of the transfer soldiers were gradually cashiered to be replaced by new recruits unconnected with the armed forces of the formerly independent Czechoslovakia.
 New recruits were limited to Czech males between 18 and 24 years of age, of
Aryan ethnicity, at least 165 centimeters tall, in good health, and free of criminal record.
 The army's last annual recruitment occurred in 1943.
Equipment and operations
Uniform of the Government Army
The Government Army was equipped with light arms only in the form of
vz. 24 pistols,
Mannlicher M1895 rifles, and bayonets.
 A plan to raise a
cavalry troop was shelved due to a lack of horses.
Prior to 1944, Government Army forces were primarily deployed to provide security along railroad lines, to support civil defense, for
public duties assignments, and – during the winter of 1943 to 1944 – in a short-lived effort to capture parachutist drop sites in Bohemia and Moravia.
 However, in May 1944, the entire Government Army – with the exception of the 1st Battalion – were moved to northern Italy to support German military operations there.
 While in Italy, approximately 600 of the Czech soldiers deserted to the side of the Italian partisans, due in part to effects of the propaganda campaign "Operation Sauerkraut" of the United States'
Office of Strategic Services.
On May 5, 1945, the 1st Battalion of the Government Army revolted and joined Czech partisans in the
Battle of Czechoslovak Radio.
 Three days later, a separate force of the Government Army moved to the
Old Town Hall to assist in its defense from German attack.