Georgetown Neighborhood Library
|Location||3260 R St. NW, Washington, D.C. 20007|
The Georgetown Neighborhood Library is a branch of the
The first attempts at creating a public library in Georgetown came in 1867, when the financier
Eventually, the library outgrew its location, and local citizens' associations sought to build a larger library. In 1934,
The Georgetown Neighborhood Library was renovated to modernize the building in 1976. With the reorganization of the D.C. Public Library system into regions, each centered on one large hub branch, the Georgetown library was designated a regional library in 1977. The Board of Trustees of the Peabody Library Association was dissolved in 1979, and donated its holdings to the D.C. Public Library, on the condition that they remain in the Georgetown branch. The library continues to maintain a Peabody Room, which houses materials related to the history of Georgetown, including the collection of the former Peabody Library, and is the only special collection related to Georgetown's history in Washington. This is also the only collection on local history in any neighborhood library in the city.
In 2007, a large fire broke out at the library, severely damaging much of the building and causing the roof to collapse. Irreparable damage was done to some of the library's holdings and artwork, including to the historic Peabody collection. Repairs and a major renovation were completed in 2010.