|Born||February 14, 1782|
|Died||September 12, 1870 (aged 88)|
Eleanora Atherton (14 February 1782–12 September 1870) was an English
Atherton was born on 14 February 1782 and was the oldest surviving daughter of Henry Atherton (1740–1816), a barrister, and Ann Byrom (1751–1826).
Atherton inherited her wealth from several family members. She lived half the year at the Byrom family home at 23
During her lifetime, Atherton is estimated to have annually donated several thousands of pounds to charities in and around Manchester every year. She is thought to have given away a total of around £100,000 between 1838 and 1870. The charities that she donated money to usually concerned religion, children, the sick or the elderly.
In 1841, Atherton funded the building of the
As well as religious buildings, she also donated funds to various medical buildings in Manchester including
Atherton funded several buildings in memory of family members including the new wing of a Manchester
Atherton died on 12 September 1870 in her home in Quay Street where she had been confined for three years. She was buried in St Paul's Church in Kersal, one of the churches which she had funded. She died one of the richest women in the nineteenth century having left £400,000.