The name "Decca" was coined by Wilfred S. Samuel by merging the word "
Mecca" with the initial D of their logo "Dulcet" or their trademark "Dulcephone".
 Samuel, a linguist, chose "Decca" as a brand name as it was easy to pronounce in most languages. The name dates back to a portable
gramophone called the "Decca Dulcephone" patented in 1914 by musical instrument makers Barnett Samuel and Sons. That company was eventually renamed the Decca Gramophone Co. Ltd. and then sold to former stockbroker Edward Lewis in 1929. Within years, Decca Records Ltd. was the second largest record label in the world, calling itself "The Supreme Record Company". Decca bought the UK branch of
Brunswick Records and continued to run it under that name. In the 1950s the American Decca studios were located in the
Pythian Temple in New York City.