The Crabble Meadows area shortly after the Athletic Ground was laid out in 1897
In 1896, a syndicate of local businessmen began a project to create a sports complex at the site known as Crabble Meadows on the outskirts of
Dover. The word Crabble, which is also found in the name of a local corn mill,
 derives from the
Old English crabba hol, meaning a hole in which crabs are found.
 The project was an extremely costly one but was completed in 1897,
 and football was first played on the Crabble site in the same year.
 The ground was originally laid out on an 8 acres (3.2 ha) plateau "carved out of the side of the hill"
 and was originally laid out to cater for cricket and football, with an athletics track and 640 yards (590 m) international standard cycling track around the edge of the playing surfaces.
In 1902, the original owners of the site, beset by financial problems, contemplated selling the land for redevelopment but eventually sold the site to the
town council for £5,500.
 The pitch was shared by the town's
cricket and football teams, with the cricketers being given priority, which meant that the football team was forced to begin and end its season either with a long run of consecutive
away matches or by playing matches at other, less satisfactory, venues in the town. To resolve the issue, the council opted to lay out a new football pitch further up the hillside, behind the lower pitch's pavilion. The first match played on the "upper pitch" took place in September 1931, with a small stand being constructed the following year. The football club then used the upper pitch whenever the lower pitch was unavailable due to cricket commitments.
Dover F.C. applied for permission to build a grandstand on the southern side of the "upper pitch" in 1947, but the application was rejected. Three years later, the club was permitted to extend the existing small stand on the opposite side and in 1951, Dover F.C. moved to the upper pitch on a permanent basis, initially paying the council rent of £300 a year.
 The final match on the lower pitch took place on 26 March 1951, and the first on the upper pitch was held eleven days later, when
Fulham were Dover's opponents in a
friendly. Due to a shortage of bolts, the grandstand had not actually been completed at this time.
 Covered terracing at the Town End, where fans had previously stood on the hillside, was added soon afterwards.
 Floodlights were added in 1961 and inaugurated with a match against a
Dover F.C folded in 1983, but the newly formed Dover Athletic took over the ground and continued to make improvements. When the team won the
championship in 1990, however, promotion to the
was refused on the grounds that the stadium did not meet the standard required by the higher division.
 Subsequently, new turnstiles were installed and two new terraces were built behind the goals. The seating in the main stand was replaced and a second grandstand was added on the opposite side of the pitch. These improvements meant that the club was able to gain promotion after its second Southern League title in 1993.
 In the
Margate F.C. played home fixtures at the stadium while redevelopment work took place at their own
Hartsdown Park ground.
 What was originally intended to be a short-term arrangement ended up lasting for two years as the redevelopment work stalled.
The view towards the River End and re-built clubhouse in 2009
Between 2003 and 2004, the ground was known as the
Hoverspeed Stadium under the terms of a sponsorship deal.
 In 2007, the club announced that under another such arrangement, the stadium would be known as the
SeaFrance Crabble Stadium, however a year later it was announced that the deal would not be renewed due to the ferry operator's financial constraints.
 On 1 July 2008, the club announced local car dealership Perry's as the club's new main sponsor, with the stadium being rebranded as the Perry's Crabble Stadium.
 In 2008 the club launched a project to replace the existing clubhouse with a new £200,000 building featuring a larger bar, better audio-visual facilities and a high quality kitchen. The club hopes the new building will become a popular venue for social and business functions.