A small number of alleged
hypogea, earthen structures carved into rocks that were used for burials, have been identified on the islands of Corvo, Santa Maria and Terceira by Portuguese archaeologist Nuno Ribeiro, who speculated that they might date back 2000 years, alluding to a human presence on the island before the Portuguese.
 However, these kinds of structures have been used in the Azores to store cereals, and suggestions by Ribeiro that they might be burial sites are unconfirmed. Detailed examination and dating to authenticate the validity of these speculations is lacking.
 It is unclear whether these structures are natural or man-made and whether they predate the 15th-century Portuguese colonization of the Azores. Solid confirmation of a pre-Portuguese human presence in the archipelago has not yet been published.
The islands were known in the fourteenth century and parts of them appear in the
Atlas Catalan. In 1427, a captain sailing for
Henry the Navigator, possibly
Gonçalo Velho, rediscovered the Azores, but this is not certain. In
Thomas Ashe's 1813 work, A History of the Azores,
 the author identified a
Fleming, Joshua Vander Berg of
Bruges, who made landfall in the archipelago during a storm on his way to
 He stated that the Portuguese explored the area and claimed it for Portugal.
 Other stories note the discovery of the first islands (
São Miguel Island,
Santa Maria Island and
Terceira Island) by sailors in the service of
Henry the Navigator, although there are few documents to support the claims.
Although it is commonly said that the archipelago received its name from the
goshawk (Açor in Portuguese), a common bird at the time of discovery, it is unlikely that the bird nested or hunted in the islands.
Angra do Heroísmo
, the oldest continuously-settled town in the archipelago of the Azores and UNESCO World Heritage Site
There were no large animals on Santa Maria, so after its discovery and before settlement began, sheep were let loose on the island to supply future settlers with food. Settlement did not take place right away, however. There was not much interest among the Portuguese people in an isolated archipelago so far from civilization. However,
Gonçalo Velho Cabral patiently gathered resources and settlers for the next three years (1433–1436) and sailed to establish colonies first on Santa Maria and then on São Miguel.
Settlers cleared bush and rocks to plant crops—grain, grape vines,
sugar cane, and other plants suitable for local use and of commercial value. They brought domesticated animals, such as chickens, rabbits, cattle, sheep, goats, and
pigs and built houses and established villages.
The archipelago was largely settled from mainland Portugal. Portuguese settlers came from the provinces of
Ribatejo as well as
Madeira. São Miguel was first settled in 1444, the settlers – mainly from the
Estremadura, Alto Alentejo and Algarve areas of mainland Portugal, under the command of Gonçalo Velho Cabral – landed at the site of modern-day
Povoação. Many early settlers were Portuguese Sephardic Jews (New Christians - Jews who became Christian through forced conversion) who fled the pressures of inquisition in mainland Portugal. In 1522
Vila Franca do Campo, then the capital of the island, was devastated by an
earthquake and landslide that killed about 5,000 people, and the capital was moved to
Ponta Delgada. The town of Vila Franca do Campo was rebuilt on the original site and today is a thriving fishing and yachting port. Ponta Delgada received its city status in 1546. From the first settlement, the pioneers applied themselves to agriculture and by the 15th century Graciosa exported wheat, barley, wine and brandy. The goods were sent to Terceira largely because of the proximity of the island.
During the 18th and 19th century, Graciosa was host to many prominent figures, including
Chateaubriand, the French writer who passed through upon his escape to America during the French revolution;
Almeida Garrett, the Portuguese poet who visited an uncle and wrote some poetry while there; and
Prince Albert of Monaco, the 19th century oceanographer who led several expeditions in the waters of the Azores. He arrived on his yacht Hirondelle, and visited the furna da caldeira, the noted hot springs grotto. In 1869, the author
Mark Twain published
The Innocents Abroad, a travel book, where he described his time in the Azores.
The first reference to the island of São Jorge was made in 1439 but the actual date of discovery is unknown. In 1443 the island was already inhabited but active settlement only began with the arrival of the noble Flemish native Wilhelm Van der Haegen. Arriving at
Topo, where he lived and died, he became known as Guilherme da Silveira to the islanders.
João Vaz Corte-Real received the captaincy of the island in 1483.
Velas became a town before the end of the 15th century. By 1490, there were 2,000 Flemings living in the islands of Terceira, Pico, Faial, São Jorge and Flores. Because there was such a large Flemish settlement, the Azores became known as the Flemish Islands or the Isles of Flanders. Prince
Henry the Navigator was responsible for this settlement. His sister,
Isabel, was married to
Duke Philip of Burgundy of which Flanders was a part. There was a revolt against Philip's rule and disease and hunger became rampant. Isabel appealed to Henry to allow some of the unruly Flemings to settle in the Azores. He granted this and supplied them with the necessary transportation and goods.
settlement of the then-unoccupied islands started in 1439 with people mainly from the continental provinces of Algarve and
Alentejo. In 1583,
Philip II of Spain, as
king of Portugal, sent his fleet to clear the Azores of a combined multinational force of adventurers, mercenaries, volunteers and soldiers who were attempting to establish the Azores as a staging post for a rival
pretender to the Portuguese throne. Following the success of his fleet at the
Battle of Ponta Delgada, the captured enemies were hanged from yardarms, as they were considered pirates by Philip II. This was added to the "
Black Legend" by his enemies. An English
expedition to the Azores in 1589 was met with success as a few of the islands along with the harbouring ships were plundered. Another English expedition against the Azores in 1597, the
Islands Voyage, however failed. Spain held the Azores in what is called The Babylonian captivity of 1580–1642. Into the late 16th century, the Azores as well as
Madeira began to face problems of overpopulation. Spawning from that particular economic problem, some of the people began to emigrate to
Following the death of
Henry, the Cardinal-King of Portugal the nation fell into a dynastic crisis with
various pretenders to the Crown of Portugal.
 Following his proclamation in Santarém,
António, Prior of Crato was acclaimed in the Azores in 1580 (through his envoy António da Costa), but was expelled from the continent following the
Battle of Alcântara.
 Yet, through the administration of Cipriano de Figueiredo, governor of Terceira (who continued to govern Terceira in the name of ill-fated, former-king
Sebastian of Portugal), the Azoreans resisted attempts to conquer the islands (including specifically at the
Battle of Salga).
 It was Figueiredo and Violante do Canto who helped organize a resistance on Terceira that influenced some of the response of the other islands, even as internal politics and support for Philip's faction increased on the other islands (including specifically on São Miguel, where the Gonçalvez da Câmara family supported the Spanish pretender).
The Azores were the last part of the
Portuguese Empire to resist Philip's reign over Portugal (
Macau resisted any official recognition) and were returned to Portuguese control with the end of the
Iberian Union in 1640, not by the professional military, who were used in the
Restoration War in the mainland, but by local people attacking a fortified
Portuguese Civil War (1828–1834) had strong repercussions in the Azores. In 1829, in
Praia da Vitória, the Liberals won over the
Terceira Island the main headquarters of the new Portuguese regime and also where the Council of Regency (Conselho de Regência) of
Maria II of Portugal was established.
Beginning in 1868, Portugal issued its stamps overprinted with "AÇORES" for use in the islands. Between 1892 and 1906, it also issued separate stamps for the three administrative districts of the time.
From 1836 to 1976, the archipelago was divided into three districts, equivalent (except in area) to those in the
Portuguese mainland. The division was arbitrary, and did not follow the natural island groups, rather reflecting the location of each district capital on the three main cities (none of which were on the western group).
- Angra do Heroísmo consisted of Terceira, São Jorge, and Graciosa, with the capital at
Angra do Heroísmo on Terceira.
- Horta consisted of Pico, Faial, Flores, and Corvo, with the capital at
Horta on Faial.
- Ponta Delgada consisted of São Miguel and Santa Maria, with the capital at
Ponta Delgada on São Miguel.
In 1931 the Azores (together with Madeira and Portuguese Guinea) revolted against the
Ditadura Nacional and were held briefly by military rebels.
In 1943, during
World War II, the Portuguese ruler
António de Oliveira Salazar leased air and naval bases in the Azores to the
 The occupation of these facilities in October 1943 was codenamed
Operation Alacrity by the British.
This was a key turning point in the
Battle of the Atlantic, enabling the
Royal Air Force, the
U.S. Army Air Forces, and the U.S. Navy to provide aerial coverage in the
Mid-Atlantic gap. This helped them to protect
convoys and to hunt hostile
In 1944, the
American armed forces constructed a small and short-lived
air base on the island of Santa Maria. In 1945, a new base was constructed on the island of
Terceira, and it is named
Lajes Field. This air base is in an area called Lajes, a broad, flat sea terrace that had been a large farm. Lajes Field is a plateau rising out of the sea on the northeast corner of the island. This air base is a joint American and Portuguese venture. Lajes Field continues to support the American and
Portuguese Armed Forces. During the
antisubmarine warfare squadrons patrolled the
North Atlantic Ocean for
submarines and surface
warships. Since its opening, Lajes Field has been used for refuelling American
cargo planes bound for
Africa, and the
Middle East. The U.S. Navy keeps a small
squadron of its ships at the harbor of
Praia da Vitória, three kilometres (1.9 miles) southeast of Lajes Field.
The airfield also has a small commercial terminal handling scheduled and chartered passenger flights from the other islands in the Azores, Europe, Africa, and
In 1976, the Azores became the Autonomous Region of the Azores (Região Autónoma dos Açores), one of the
autonomous regions of Portugal, and the subdistricts of the Azores were eliminated.