Agness is an
unincorporated community in
United States. It is near the confluence of two
Wild and Scenic rivers—the Lower
Rogue and the
Illinois. Agness post office was established October 16, 1897.
 It was named after Agnes, the daughter of the first postmaster, and subsequently misspelled.
 The Agness area is popular for fishing and hiking. Agness is in the
Rogue River – Siskiyou National Forest and was threatened by the
Biscuit Fire in 2002.
Agness is served by one of only two rural mail boat routes still operating in the U.S.
 The other is along the
Snake River in eastern Oregon.
 The mail boat runs on the Rogue River between
Gold Beach and Agness.
Rogue River Ranch, east of Agness, is on the
National Register of Historic Places,
 and it and
Lucas Lodge in Agness are in the
Oregon State Historic Preservation Office historic sites database.
 The Agness-
Illahe Museum is open from May through September.
Agness has a
sixth grade (K–6) "
one-room school", which actually consists of two rooms.
 It is kept open by the
Central Curry School District because of its "geographical remoteness": approximately 30 miles (48 km) from Gold Beach up a "winding and sometimes dangerous" road.
 This road (
County Road 595/
USFS Arterial Route 33) is a continuation of
Bear Camp Road, which has been the site of several incidents that have resulted in the deaths of travelers.
Much of Agness's economy is based on tourism, with several lodges, hotels, restaurants, and camping sites scattered throughout the community. Many cater to the large jet boats from Jerry's Rogue Jets which carry up to 50 passengers from Gold Beach to various locations in the Rogue Valley.
 Such stops include the historic Lucas Lodge, Singing Springs Resort, and Cougar Lane Restaurant and RV Park.