Aaron Burr

Aaron Burr
Vanderlyn Burr.jpg
3rd Vice President of the United States
In office
March 4, 1801 – March 4, 1805
PresidentThomas Jefferson
Preceded byThomas Jefferson
Succeeded byGeorge Clinton
United States Senator
from New York
In office
March 4, 1791 – March 3, 1797
Preceded byPhilip Schuyler
Succeeded byPhilip Schuyler
3rd Attorney General of New York
In office
September 29, 1789 – November 8, 1791
GovernorGeorge Clinton
Preceded byRichard Varick
Succeeded byMorgan Lewis
Personal details
Born(1756-02-06)February 6, 1756
Newark, New Jersey, British America
DiedSeptember 14, 1836(1836-09-14) (aged 80)
Staten Island, New York, U.S.
Resting placePrinceton Cemetery
Political partyDemocratic-Republican
Theodosia Bartow Prevost
(m. 1782; died 1794)

Eliza Jumel (m. 1833)
Children7 or more including:
RelativesAaron Burr Sr. (Father)
Esther Edwards (Mother)
EducationPrinceton University (BA)
Military service
Allegiance United States
Branch/serviceContinental Army
Years of service1775–1779
RankLieutenant colonel
Battles/warsAmerican Revolutionary War
 • Battle of Quebec
 • Battle of Monmouth

Aaron Burr Jr. (February 6, 1756 – September 14, 1836) was an American politician and lawyer. He was the third vice president of the United States (1801–1805), serving during President Thomas Jefferson's first term.

Burr served as a Continental Army officer in the American Revolutionary War, after which he became a successful lawyer and politician. He was elected twice to the New York State Assembly (1784–1785, 1798–1799),[1] was appointed New York State Attorney General (1789–1791), was chosen as a U.S. senator (1791–1797) from the State of New York, and reached the apex of his career as vice president. In the waning months of his tenure as president of the Senate, he oversaw the 1805 impeachment trial of Supreme Court Justice Samuel Chase.

Burr shot his political rival Alexander Hamilton in a famous duel in 1804, the last full year of his single term as vice president. He was never tried for the illegal duel and all charges against him were eventually dropped, but Hamilton's death ended Burr's political career.

Burr left Washington, D.C., and traveled west seeking new opportunities, both economic and political. His activities eventually led to his arrest on charges of treason in 1807. The subsequent trial resulted in acquittal, but Burr's western schemes left him with large debts and few influential friends. In a final quest for grand opportunities, he left the United States for Europe. He remained overseas until 1812, when he returned to the United States to practice law in New York City, where he spent the rest of his life in relative obscurity.

Early life

Burr's maternal grandfather Jonathan Edwards

Aaron Burr Jr. was born in Newark, New Jersey, in 1756 as the second child of the Reverend Aaron Burr Sr., a Presbyterian minister and second president of the College of New Jersey, which became Princeton University. His mother Esther Edwards Burr was the daughter of noted theologian Jonathan Edwards and his wife Sarah.[2] Burr had an older sister Sarah ("Sally") who was named for her maternal grandmother. She married Tapping Reeve, founder of the Litchfield Law School in Litchfield, Connecticut.[3]

Burr's father died in 1757, and his mother died the following year, leaving him and his sister orphans when he was two years old. He and his sister first lived with their maternal grandparents, but his grandmother also died in 1757, and his grandfather Jonathan Edwards died in 1758. Young Aaron and Sally were placed with the William Shippen family in Philadelphia. In 1759, the children's guardianship was assumed by their 21-year-old maternal uncle Timothy Edwards. The next year, Edwards married Rhoda Ogden and moved with the children to Elizabeth, New Jersey near her family. Burr had a very strained relationship with his uncle, who frequently employed physical punishment.[4] As a child, he made several attempts to run away from home.[5]

Burr was admitted to Princeton as a sophomore at age 13 where he joined the American Whig Society and the Cliosophic Society, the college's literary and debating societies.[6] He received his Bachelor of Arts degree in 1772 at age 16 but continued studying theology at Princeton for an additional year. He then undertook rigorous theological training with Joseph Bellamy, a Presbyterian, but changed his career path after two years. At age 19, he moved to Connecticut to study law with his brother-in-law Tapping Reeve, who had married Burr's sister in 1771.[7] News reached Litchfield in 1775 of the clashes with British troops at Lexington and Concord, and Burr put his studies on hold to enlist in the Continental Army.

Revolutionary War

During the American Revolutionary War, Burr took part in Colonel Benedict Arnold's expedition to Quebec, an arduous trek of more than 300 miles (480 km) through the frontier of Maine. Arnold was deeply impressed by Burr's "great spirit and resolution" during the long march, and he sent Burr up the Saint Lawrence River when they reached Quebec City to contact General Richard Montgomery, who had taken Montreal, and escort him to Quebec. Montgomery then promoted Burr to captain and made him an aide-de-camp. Burr distinguished himself during the Battle of Quebec on December 31, 1775, where he attempted to recover Montgomery's corpse after the General had been shot.[8]

In the spring of 1776, Burr's stepbrother Matthias Ogden helped him to secure a place on George Washington's staff in Manhattan, but he quit within two weeks on June 26 to be on the battlefield; there was more honor to be gained in battle than in the "insular world of the commander's staff," according to historian Nancy Isenberg.[9] General Israel Putnam took Burr under his wing, and Burr saved an entire brigade from capture after the British landing on Manhattan by his vigilance in the retreat from lower Manhattan to Harlem. Washington failed to commend his actions in the next day's General Orders, however, which was the fastest way to obtain a promotion. Burr was already a nationally known hero, but he never received a commendation. According to Ogden, he was infuriated by the incident, which may have led to the eventual estrangement between him and Washington.[10][11] Nevertheless, Burr defended Washington's decision to evacuate New York as "a necessary consequence." It was not until the 1790s that the two men found themselves on opposite sides in politics.[12]

Burr was promoted to lieutenant colonel in July 1777 and assumed virtual leadership of Malcolm's Additional Continental Regiment.[13] There were approximately 300 men under Colonel William Malcolm's nominal command, but Malcolm was frequently called upon to perform other duties, leaving Burr in charge.[13] The regiment successfully fought off many nighttime raids into central New Jersey by Manhattan-based British troops who arrived by water. Later that year, Burr commanded a small contingent during the harsh winter encampment at Valley Forge, guarding "the Gulph," an isolated pass that controlled one approach to the camp. He imposed discipline and defeated an attempted mutiny by some of the troops.[14]

Burr's regiment was devastated by British artillery on June 28, 1778 at the Battle of Monmouth in New Jersey and he suffered heat stroke.[15] In January 1779, he was assigned to Westchester County, New York in command of Malcolm's Regiment, a region between the British post at Kingsbridge, Bronx and that of the Americans about 15 miles (24 km) to the north. This district was part of the larger command of General Alexander McDougall, and there was much turbulence and plundering by lawless bands of civilians and by raiding parties of ill-disciplined soldiers from both armies.[16]

In March 1779, due to continuing bad health, Burr resigned from the Continental Army.[17] He renewed his study of law. Technically, he was no longer in the service, but he remained active in the war; he was assigned by General Washington to perform occasional intelligence missions for Continental generals, such as Arthur St. Clair. On July 5, 1779, he rallied a group of Yale students at New Haven, Connecticut, along with Captain James Hillhouse and the Second Connecticut Governor's Guards, in a skirmish with the British at the West River.[18] The British advance was repulsed, forcing them to enter New Haven from Hamden, Connecticut.[18]

Despite these activities, Burr finished his studies and was admitted to the bar at Albany, New York in 1782. He married that same year and began practicing law in New York City the following year, after the British evacuated the city. He and his wife lived for the next several years in a house on Wall Street in Lower Manhattan.[19]

Other Languages
Afrikaans: Aaron Burr
العربية: آرون بور
asturianu: Aaron Burr
azərbaycanca: Aaron Burr
Bân-lâm-gú: Aaron Burr
беларуская: Аарон Бёр
Bikol Central: Aaron Burr
български: Аарън Бър
català: Aaron Burr
čeština: Aaron Burr
dansk: Aaron Burr
Deutsch: Aaron Burr
ދިވެހިބަސް: Aaron Burr
eesti: Aaron Burr
español: Aaron Burr
فارسی: آرون بر
français: Aaron Burr
Gaeilge: Aaron Burr
galego: Aaron Burr
한국어: 에런 버
hrvatski: Aaron Burr
Ilokano: Aaron Burr
Bahasa Indonesia: Aaron Burr
íslenska: Aaron Burr
italiano: Aaron Burr
עברית: ארון בר
ქართული: აარონ ბური
Kiswahili: Aaron Burr
Latina: Aaron Burr
latviešu: Ārons Bers
lietuvių: Aaron Burr
magyar: Aaron Burr
മലയാളം: ആറൺ ബർ
मराठी: अ‍ॅरन बर
Bahasa Melayu: Aaron Burr
Mìng-dĕ̤ng-ngṳ̄: Aaron Burr
Nederlands: Aaron Burr
norsk: Aaron Burr
polski: Aaron Burr
português: Aaron Burr
română: Aaron Burr
русский: Берр, Аарон
Scots: Aaron Burr
Simple English: Aaron Burr
slovenčina: Aaron Burr
slovenščina: Aaron Burr mlajši
српски / srpski: Арон Бер
srpskohrvatski / српскохрватски: Aaron Burr
suomi: Aaron Burr
svenska: Aaron Burr
Türkçe: Aaron Burr
اردو: آرون بر
Tiếng Việt: Aaron Burr
Winaray: Aaron Burr
ייִדיש: אראן בור
Yorùbá: Aaron Burr
粵語: 阿倫伯爾