2017 Aleppo suicide car bombing

2017 Aleppo suicide car bombing
Part of the Syrian Civil War
Aleppo in Syria (+Golan).svg
Location Rashideen District, western Aleppo, Syria
Coordinates 36°10′10″N 37°03′24″E / 36°10′10″N 37°03′24″E / 36.16944; 37.05667
Date 15 April 2017
Weapons Car bomb
Deaths 126+ [1]
Non-fatal injuries
Perpetrator Unknown

On 15 April 2017, a car bomb detonated near a convoy of buses in the al-Rashideen neighbourhood of western Aleppo, Syria. [2] The buses carried civilian evacuees from the besieged government-controlled towns of al-Fu'ah and Kafriya and were guarded by rebel fighters. [3] The bombing killed at least 126 people [4] including at least 80 children. [5]

The bus evacuation was part of an agreement brokered by the Syrian government, Iran, and Qatar, and implemented by the Syrian Arab Red Crescent. [6] Under the terms of the evacuation deal, residents of the Shia communities of al-Fu'ah and Kafriya, which supported the Syrian government [7] and were surrounded by the Army of Conquest, [8] would be transported to Aleppo. [6] In return, residents of Madaya and Al-Zabadani, which are Sunni-majority and support the opposition, would be transported to the Idlib province. [6]


Children holding placards with inscriptions "We want bread and security", " UNICEF where is children's rights?", "save al-Fu'ah and Kafriya from certain death"

The attack took place in the Rashideen district, in the western outskirts of the city of Aleppo, at about 15:30 local time. [9] According to journalists, the bomb was in a car that parked and began distributing food near the front of a convoy of buses that were stopped at a checkpoint to move injured refugees. [9] [10]

Early reports indicated that a few dozen people had been killed, [11] but the confirmed death toll rose to 126 by the following day, according to the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights. [9] The Observatory said that 109 of the dead were refugees, including 68 children, with the remainder rebel fighters and aid workers, [9] though a spokesman for the Ahrar al-Sham rebel group said that about 30 of its members were killed. [12] According to the White Helmets civil defense group, 55 people were injured. [13]

The bombing led to the suspension of evacuations for several days; they resumed on 19 April with tight security at the Rashideen checkpoint. [14] Three days after the bombing, a United Nations spokesperson said that the bombing was "likely a war crime" and a person of interest seen in footage prior to the bombing is being investigated. [15]

Other Languages