2010 Lakki Marwat suicide bombing

Lakki Marwat suicide bombing
Mitshubishi Pajero Mk I.jpg
Mitsubishi Pajero mk I.
LocationShah Hasan Khel, Lakki Marwat District, Khyber-Pakhtunkhwa, Pakistan
Coordinates32°25′52″N 70°58′2″E / 32°25′52″N 70°58′2″E / 32.43111; 70.96722
DateJanuary 1, 2010; 8 years ago (2010-01-01)
Attack type
suicide bomb
Weaponsunknown explosives
Non-fatal injuries

The 2010 Lakki Marwat suicide bombing occurred on 1 January 2010, in the village of Shah Hasan Khel, Lakki Marwat District, in the Khyber-Pakhtunkhwa province of Pakistan.[4] At least 105 people died and over 100 were injured, many of them critically, when the suicide bomber blew up his sport utility vehicle filled with explosives in the middle of a crowd that had gathered to watch a volleyball game.[1][2][3]


It was thought that the villagers were targeted because they had formed a pro government militia against the Taliban. In weeks before, militants threatened death to anyone who joined the militia.[5] The bomber drove his Mitsubishi Pajero pickup truck into the middle of the playground, at a busy neighborhood,[6] while a game between local male[7] teams was in progress and detonated it.[8] There were up to 400 people present.[9] The bodies of players were thrown through the air by the blast.[3] It was estimated that more than 600 pounds (270 kg) of explosives were used.[10] Nearly 300 people had been watching the game when the blast happened.[11] Among the dead were six children and five paramilitary soldiers.[12] The remaining fatalities were mostly spectating teenagers.[7] Witnesses said that flames leapt into the sky and there was a bright light before the explosion was heard.[3]

The villagers had formed a 'peace committee' which was holding a meeting in a mosque when the blast occurred. The roof of the mosque caved in but none of the people attending the meeting were seriously injured.[5] More than twenty surrounding houses were destroyed.[3] People became trapped in collapsed buildings.[13][14] In the darkness, vehicle headlights were used to search for victims.[15] The blast was felt from 11 miles (18 kilometers) away.[7]

By the day after the blast, no group had claimed responsibility for the bombing. According to analysts, this is frequently the case after an attack has killed many civilians.[16] Pakistani security analyst retired Lieutenant General Talat Masood stated that attack was most likely carried out in retaliation by Taliban. He said "Definitely these are militant elements from North Waziristan and Taliban who have been very angry because the military had had a successful operation in Lakki Marwat and been able to clean up the place."[17]