From today's featured article
Did you know...
In the news
Soyuz MS-10 launch
On this day
October 17: Dessalines Day in Haiti (1806)
Lake Burley Griffin, Canberra, Australia
- 1346 – King David II of Scotland was captured in the Battle of Neville's Cross, following his invasion of England under the terms of Scotland's Auld Alliance with France, during the Hundred Years' War.
- 1604 – German astronomer Johannes Kepler observed an exceptionally bright star, now known as Kepler's Supernova, which had suddenly appeared in the constellation Ophiuchus earlier in October.
- 1964 – Prime Minister of Australia Robert Menzies inaugurated the artificial Lake Burley Griffin in the middle of the capital, Canberra.
- 1992 – Having gone to the wrong house for a Halloween party, Japanese exchange student Yoshihiro Hattori was shot and killed by the homeowner in Baton Rouge, Louisiana, U.S.
- 2001 – Rehavam Ze'evi, the Israeli Minister of Tourism, was assassinated in revenge for the death of the PFLP leader Abu Ali Mustafa.
Edward Hawke, 1st Baron Hawke (d. 1781) · Childe Hassam (b. 1859) · Chuka Umunna (b. 1978)