From today's featured article

The former station house
The former station house

Westcott railway station served the village of Westcott, Buckinghamshire, near Baron Ferdinand de Rothschild's estate at Waddesdon Manor. It was built by the Duke of Buckingham in 1871 as part of a short horse-drawn tramway that met the Aylesbury and Buckingham Railway at Quainton Road. The next year, it was converted for passenger use, extended to Brill railway station, and renamed the Brill Tramway. The poor quality locomotives running on the cheaply built and ungraded line were very slow, initially limited to 5 miles per hour (8 km/h). The line was taken over by the Metropolitan Railway in 1899, and transferred to public ownership in 1933. Westcott station became part of the London Underground, despite being over 40 miles (60 km) from central London, until the closure of the line in 1935. The station building and its associated house (pictured) are the only significant buildings from the Brill Tramway to survive other than the former junction station at Quainton Road. ( Full article...)

Part of the Brill Tramway series, one of Wikipedia's featured topics.

Did you know...

C6(CH3)2+6, dication of hexamethylbenzene
C
6
(CH
3
)2+
6
, dication of hexamethylbenzene

In the news

Artist’s impression of the TRAPPIST-1 planetary system
Artist’s impression of the TRAPPIST-1 planetary system

On this day...

February 24: Rio Carnival begins in Brazil (2017); Flag Day in Mexico; National Artist Day in Thailand

President Juan Perón of Argentina
President Juan Perón of Argentina

Steve Jobs (b. 1955) · Æthelberht of Kent (d. 616)

More anniversaries:

From today's featured list

Allan La Fontaine in 1928
Allan La Fontaine

The Keith 'Bluey' Truscott Medal is an Australian rules football award presented annually to the player(s) adjudged the best and fairest at the Melbourne Football Club throughout the Victorian Football League/Australian Football League season. The Melbourne Football Club was established in 1858 and was a foundation member of the Victorian Football Association, playing in the league from 1877 to 1896. After the formation of the Victorian Football League in 1896, Melbourne joined as a foundation club the next year and has competed in the league ever since. The inaugural Melbourne best and fairest winner was Allan La Fontaine (pictured) in 1935, and he retained it the following season. The award was known as the Melbourne best and fairest until it was renamed in 1943 in honour of Keith 'Bluey' Truscott, a former dual premiership player and World War II fighter ace killed in service in 1943. La Fontaine and Jim Stynes have both won the award on four occasions. ( Full list...)

Today's featured picture

The Durbar Court at the former India Office, now part of the FCO

Durbar Court at the Foreign and Commonwealth Office, the department of the Government of the United Kingdom that is responsible for protecting and promoting British interests worldwide. It was created in 1968 by merging the Foreign Office and the Commonwealth Office.

Photograph: Colin

Other Languages
Simple English: Main_Page
Bahasa Indonesia: Halaman_Utama
Bahasa Melayu: Laman_Utama
bosanski:
català: Portada
čeština: Hlavní_strana
dansk: Forside
eesti: Esileht
Ελληνικά: Πύλη:Κύρια
euskara: Azala
galego: Portada
עברית: עמוד_ראשי
hrvatski: Glavna_stranica
latviešu:
magyar: Kezdőlap
Nederlands: Hoofdpagina
norsk bokmål: Portal:Forside
norsk nynorsk: Hovudside
slovenčina: Hlavná_stránka
slovenščina: Glavna_stran
српски / srpski: Главна_страна
srpskohrvatski / српскохрватски: Glavna_stranica
Tiếng Việt: Trang_Chính
Türkçe: Ana_Sayfa
українська: Головна_сторінка