From today's featured article
Did you know...
- ... that Michael Collins (pictured), the command module pilot for Apollo 11, was the first person to perform two spacewalks in a single mission?
- ... that the 1957 launch of Sputnik 1, the first artificial satellite, led to a period of public anxiety in the United States and accelerated the Space Race?
- ... that pilot-cosmonaut Yuri Gagarin, the first human in space and first to orbit the Earth, ejected from his descending spacecraft at an altitude of about 7,000 metres (23,000 ft)?
- ... that two Russian tortoises were aboard the first spacecraft to return safely from a trip around the Moon?
- ... that Mae Jemison, the first black woman in space, worked at a Cambodian refugee camp in Thailand and was a medical officer for the Peace Corps before becoming an astronaut?
- ... that the Soviet probe Luna 2, the first human-made object to make contact with the Moon, began a trend of crash landing missions that continued even after soft landings were mastered?
- ... that David Scott's performance under pressure during Gemini 8, the first mission to achieve a docking in space, led to his selection for the Apollo program?
- ... that cosmonaut Valentina Tereshkova made 42 trips outside the Soviet Union between 1963 and 1970 in response to invitations she received after becoming the first woman in space?
- ... that Félicette, the first cat in space, was subjected to 9.5 g of acceleration and five minutes of weightlessness?
In the news
Kyoto Animation Studio 1 in 2015
On this day